Peanut Butter Chocolate Dream Pie
Before our Demo & Dinner with Barbara & Duane every 3rd Thursday I test many recipes to be sure that they are "special". Desserts are at the end of the dinner so to be sure that everyone leaves on a "high note" these have to "ring the bell". This recipe which I have modified in a few areas (noted) won every attendees applause! It is much easier than it looks! Don't let the length scare you. bjm
1 cup dates, pitted (15 Medjool)bjm
1 cup hemp seeds
3 Tbls cacao or carob powder
4 frozen bananas (3 large or 4 small ripe and thawed for approx 10 minutes)bjm
1 cup dates, pitted (15 Medjool)
1 cup cashews
1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup cacao or carob powder
1/4 Cup peanut butter
6 large dates, pitted
1 cup water
1/4 cup cacao or carob powder
PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
2 - 3 Tbls peanut butter
1 - 2 Tbls water
TOPPING (optional garnish) bjm
1 Tbls raw, no salt added peanuts
1 Tbls vegan chocolate chips
1 Tbls chocolate Nibs
1. Pulse hemp seeds and cocoa in a food processor until a rough flour forms, then add dates until sticky.
2. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a spring form pan (or a parchment lined 9x9 pan) bjm. A pie pan with high edges can also work.
3. Place in the fridge while making the filling.
1. Blend dates and non-dairy milk in food processor until a syrup is formed.
2. Add the remaining filling ingredients in your food processor until smooth, adding additional milk or water as needed to make it even creamier. (I don't add any extra liquid. For an even creamier filling I do this step in the blender. Place back in the freezer for a while before adding the Chocolate Sauce.) bjm
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy.
2. Drizzle across top of pie. (I like to just spread this across the whole top with a slanted spatula - table knife works.)
PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
1. Mix together in a small sauté pan over low-medium heat until melted. (Using a large fork I work the water into the peanut butter) bjm
2. Drizzle across top of pie. (It doesn't drizzle well so while the pie is still in the freezer I lay out a piece of wax paper or tin foil and with a decorating tube (preferably cloth because the mixture is warm and pops through the plastic bags) with a small hole tip. Then you are free to make any design you like to the size of the top of the pie. I like stippling free hand design of however you want the top design to look. (like puzzle pieces). Or if you are confident in your decorating make small dots or flowers. Then I freeze my design until the peanut mixture is frozen solid. Take out the pie from the freezing and carefully lifting the designs onto the pie the way you want them. You could just spread the Peanut Butter Sauce across the top of the frozen pie or marble it - make it easy and your way. bjm
3. If you'd like - sprinkle with some chopped peanuts.
4. Freeze overnight and thaw for 5-20 minutes before serving, depending on how hard and cold you want the desert to be. (I found that if I take it our awhile before guests arrive and thaw it for about 5 minutes I make my slices with a long knife and separate them a little. Place back into the freezer until 10 to 15 minutes before serving. This is done so they will thaw more evenly and quicker to serve before portions melt more than desired!) bjm
TOPPING (optional) bjm
1. Crush the peanuts, chocolate chips and nibs in a small food processor, or chopper. This is an option but I find that the nibs are very hard and rough so by chopping them finer they are more comfortable to eat and you are still receiving the health benefits from these wonderful true bits of chocolate!
2. Sprinkle on top of each piece before serving!
3. Enjoy and be ready to impress your guests with this beautiful, healthy, creation!
Yield: 9" pie or 9x9 pan
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds: bjm
Excellent source of essential fatty acids including Omega 3, 6 and GLA in the perfect balance. (Gamma Linolenic Acid - How does it work? Gamma linolenic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid, which the body can convert to substances that reduce inflammation and cell growth.) More digestible protein than any animal protein or any other high protein food. Rich in Vitamin E.
Can be eaten by those unable to tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose or sugar; there are no known allergies to hemp foods.
Benefits of Dates: bjm
Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals. They are the most natural of sugars and are easy to make date paste or syrup to use in most recipes to replace other sugars. They are a good source of energy, sugar and fiber. Essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc are found in dates. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
Author: Barbara J Mathison, CHC; www.nutritiousway.org
Source: Stacey Roney; www.SouthernVeganKitchen.com from PlantBasedKatie.com